The tongue scraper (or tongue cleaner) dates back to ancient times in India, but its benefits-especially the promotion of fresh breath and oral hygiene have recently gained a lot of attention in the West. Using a tongue scraper stands to reward anyone willing to give it a try, and it is worth understanding the advantages a tongue scraper has to offer your overall health and well-being.
Benefits of Using a Tongue Scraper
- Clears toxins & bacteria from the tongue
- Helps remove coating on the tongue that leads to bad breath
- Helps eliminate undigested food particles from the tongue
- Enhances the sense of taste
- Promotes overall oral & digestive health
- Gently stimulates the internal organs
- Increases your awareness of your state of health
Amazingly, the benefits of using a tongue scraper reach far beyond the bounds of oral hygiene and fresh breath. In Ayurveda, proper digestion is the cornerstone of health; it is literally the process by which our daily intake of food nourishes our tissues and ultimately, our state of consciousness. Healthy digestion also protects the body against the accumulation of toxins and ensures the proper elimination of wastes. Cleansing the tongue enhances the sense of taste, and because digestion begins with taste, this alone supports the entire digestive process.